华枫论坛

华枫论坛 (http://www.chinasmile.net/forums/index.php)
-   工作求职 (http://www.chinasmile.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   'Pronunciation Clinic' kicks off laaa :) (http://www.chinasmile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75938)

Cool_China Apr 15th, 2005 16:10

'Pronunciation Clinic' kicks off laaa :)

Hey everyone,

My goal is to help you improve your English pronunciation. With a better pronunciation your speech will be much more clear and your interview will go much more smooth. You will land a job easier. All in all, you will make people you talk to understand you.

Viva understanding!
---------------------------------------------------------------
Among 7 people who came to the free session last night no one knew how to make a short 'i' sound. It was not that they couldn't make that sound; it's that they didn't know how to position their mouth properly.Nevertheless, I am sure that now all of them understand how to make that sound.

Again, please notice that pronunciation doesn't euqal the accent. Pronunciation should come first, then the accent.

Now 'PRONUNCIATION CLINIC' officially kicks off.

Fees: $85 (Your money counts)
Goal: Solving common pronunciation difficulties facing the Chinese
Duration: 3 Fridays (totally 6 hours, 2 hours every Friday)
Time:6pm-8pm
416-460-3168
--------------------------------------------------------------

couple Apr 15th, 2005 18:14

Bravo! Way to go!

CWO

Bennie Apr 16th, 2005 00:09

引用:

作者: Cool_China
Hey everyone,

My goal is to help you improve your English pronunciation. With a better pronunciation your speech will be much more clear and your interview will go much more smooth. You will land a job easier. All in all, you will make people you talk to understand you.

Viva understanding!
Among 7 people who came to the free session last night no one knew how to make a short 'i' sound. It was not that they couldn't make that sound; it's that they didn't know how to position their mouth properly.Nevertheless, I am sure that now all of them understand how to make that sound.

Again, please notice that pronunciation doesn't euqal the accent. Pronunciation should come first, then the accent.

Now 'PRONUNCIATION CLINIC' officially kicks off.

Fees: $85 (Your money counts)
Goal: Solving common pronunciation difficulties facing the Chinese
Duration: 3 Fridays (totally 6 hours, 2 hours every Friday)
Time:6pm-8pm
416-460-3168
--------------------------------------------------------------

"smooth" --- adj.
"easier" --adj.
"It's" -- Present tense.
"mouth" -- sigular noun.

Hope those are only typos. ;)

Cool_China Apr 16th, 2005 22:59

haha, let's duke it out. Just kidding

引用:

作者: Bennie
"smooth" --- adj.
"easier" --adj.
"It's" -- Present tense.
"mouth" -- sigular noun.

I like talking about those 'typos', if any.
1) By 'go', I meant 'become', so the word can be followed by an adjective.For example: The fans go crazy
2)By 'easier', I meant 'You will land a job easier (than before)', so 'easier' here serves as an adverb. How about 'easier(than before), you will land a job'?
3)In 'It WAS not that they couldn't make that sound; it's that they didn't know how to position their mouth properly', do you think that I cannot use "it's"? I think that I have used a pass tense 'was' prior to the "it's" and considering that this is a parallel structure, I picked up a short form, i.e., "it's". Is it alright?
4)By 'mouth' in 'how to position their mouth' I emphasized the MOUTH of the every person, not all of them
(for this one, your correction could be right. But I prefer a single noun to a plural noun here)
A question to you. How do you translate '他们每一个人的嘴‘ into English? :)) I don't expect that you say 'the mouth of the every one'.

Cool_China

Cool_China Apr 16th, 2005 23:49

hi, Bennie

引用:

"smooth" --- adj.
"easier" --adj.
"It's" -- Present tense.
"mouth" -- sigular noun.

Hi, Bennie,
The following sentence is from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary:

'One of the students has left their book behind.'

How do you think?

Cool_China Apr 17th, 2005 00:05

与Bennie商酌

1) bring our textbook please -- 请带上我们用的 那本(那种) 教材
2) bring our textbooks please -- 请带上我们大家(所有的)教材

第一个句子强调种类 (我们用的是同一种教材,而不是有两种不同的教材)
第二个句子强调数量

What's your opinion, Bennie?

Thanks

Cool_China

Bennie Apr 17th, 2005 01:49

引用:

I like talking about those 'typos', if any.
1) By 'go', I meant 'become', so the word can be followed by an adjective.For example: The fans go crazy
2)By 'easier', I meant 'You will land a job easier (than before)', so 'easier' here serves as an adverb. How about 'easier(than before), you will land a job'?
3)In 'It WAS not that they couldn't make that sound; it's that they didn't know how to position their mouth properly', do you think that I cannot use "it's"? I think that I have used a pass tense 'was' prior to the "it's" and considering that this is a parallel structure, I picked up a short form, i.e., "it's". Is it alright?
4)By 'mouth' in 'how to position their mouth' I emphasized the MOUTH of the every person, not all of them
(for this one, your correction could be right. But I prefer a single noun to a plural noun here)
A question to you. How do you translate '他们每一个人的嘴‘ into English? :)) I don't expect that you say 'the mouth of the every one'.

Cool_China

1) As I know, "go" can not be a copular verb. Here I think "get" or "become" will be a better choice. And if you use it as an adj., "smoother" is better than "much more".
But......after checking the dictionary, sometimes you can use smooth as smoothly. ~_~!

2) Agree.

3) I think "It's" is not equal to "It was".

4) I still prefer "their mouths", or "each one's mouth". ^_^!

Bennie Apr 17th, 2005 01:55

引用:

Hi, Bennie,
The following sentence is from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary:

'One of the students has left their book behind.'

How do you think?

"One" is the subject and "book" is the object. I personally would use "his" or "her" here. ;) I dont understand why it uses their here.

BTW, I think I've met you before. Is that right? :rolleyes:

zzbsb Apr 17th, 2005 08:46

Because you don't know if the student is a male or female, so you don't know you should use his or her in the sentence, so you can use their in such situation.

Cool_China Apr 17th, 2005 19:19

how about...

引用:

1) As I know, "go" can not be a copular verb. Here I think "get" or "become" will be a better choice. And if you use it as an adj., "smoother" is better than "much more".
But......after checking the dictionary, sometimes you can use smooth as smoothly. ~_~!

2) Agree.

3) I think "It's" is not equal to "It was".

4) I still prefer "their mouths", or "each one's mouth". ^_^!

You'd better study now.
You had better study now

Two sentences are equal.

Bennie Apr 17th, 2005 19:23

引用:

You'd better study now.
You had better study now

Two sentences are equal.

:eek:
You'd better= You had better.
It's = It is

But, it was != it's. @_@!

The Door Apr 17th, 2005 22:03

some apparent mistakes. not to mention phraseology
引用:

Hey everyone,
My goal is to help you improve your English pronunciation. With a better pronunciation your speech will be much more clear (clearer) and your interview will go much more smooth (more smoothly). You will land a job easier(more easily). All in all, you will make people you talk to understand you.

Viva understanding!
-

所有时间均为格林尼治时间 -4。现在的时间是 02:09

Copyright © 1999-2024 Chinasmile