查看单个帖子
旧 Nov 14th, 2004, 11:34     #8
阿童木
级别:18 | 在线时长:432小时 | 升级还需:5小时级别:18 | 在线时长:432小时 | 升级还需:5小时级别:18 | 在线时长:432小时 | 升级还需:5小时级别:18 | 在线时长:432小时 | 升级还需:5小时级别:18 | 在线时长:432小时 | 升级还需:5小时级别:18 | 在线时长:432小时 | 升级还需:5小时

阿童木 的头像

注册日期: Jul 2004
住址: Toronto, ON
帖子: 5,368
积分:8
精华:15
阿童木 has a reputation beyond repute阿童木 has a reputation beyond repute阿童木 has a reputation beyond repute阿童木 has a reputation beyond repute阿童木 has a reputation beyond repute阿童木 has a reputation beyond repute阿童木 has a reputation beyond repute阿童木 has a reputation beyond repute阿童木 has a reputation beyond repute阿童木 has a reputation beyond repute阿童木 has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow

---- 选择多大还是QUEEN‘S呢?
As I said ,all undergraduate programs in Canadian universities are similar. No school has absolute advantage. So you need to compare some other aspects, such as reputation, resources etc. But if you do enjoy the life style in a small town, Queen's is a good choice. By the way, I also got the admission from Queen's. So far, I haven't regreted my decision to choose U of T.
It's true that U of T emphasizes theory. Some of its courses, such as Microprocessor System and Computability and Complexity are taught by professors, who are top level in the world in these fields. Of course, as an undergraduate student you won't be able to dig into it deeply. But that's what makes the difference between a university student and college student. I.e., you will have more potentiality since at least you have seen what a truely sophisticated system and theory are about.

U of T doesn't promise you a splendid future. You can graduate without learning anything seriously. That's why many U of T graduates might have much lower ability than those of a second class school. But it does provide the opportunity to access the essence of computer science to those who really want to learn something.

It's said that the program of U of T is not quite practical. But some of its courses are quite useful. And you have many choices to different directions, including software engineering, network, database management and pure math theory... But keep this in mind, they teach you to be a scientist, not just a programer.

A new huge building for information technology is being built on campus. You can see the commitment of the school to strengthen its status in high tech field.

---- 多大的英语环境:
问:
“最近我一直为了去多大后住在那儿的头疼,到处查多大和QUEEN'S的ON CAMPUS RESIDENCE. 倒不是担心租不到房子和房租高低,而是担心找不到合适的房子,担心以后生活的语言环境.”

答:
In a nutshell, you can't get everything you want at the same time. There's always trade-off. Pay attention to what is really important. After all you are in Canada and in fact, most people arround you speak perfect English. Of course you can get yourself an English-speaking roommate if you like their living style, such as party, pub, beer, girls, skiing, roller-blading, baseball, hucky, bingo... But I m afaid you won't have the time as a CS student and you are not 18 any more. In fact, not many white people really want to make friend with us, especially white girls. You definitely know why. But you can always see white guys going out with Asian girls. My friend Rob, a pure white guy, said he had no feeling for white girls.
Try to be realistic. Find yourself a Chinese girl friend. The knowledge of computer science and the degree are more important than English. I mean at least you have no trouble in communication. That's enough. When you begin to earn money. You have more choices, including hiring an English tutor.

---- 关于选学院
Different college has different tradition. Some colleges have more scholarships and on-campus residence, such as University College. But you have equal access to all the programs and courses within Arts & Science Faculty. In fact, it does not really matter which college you choose. But it seems that all second degree students will be automatically asigned to Woods Worth College no matter which college you choose. I picked Innis, but they finally send me to Woods Worth as they did with all my fellow Chinese new immigrant second degree students. You can fill out University College anyway.

---- 多大CS的学生….
Every Arts&Science student in U of T belongs to a college, like Woodsworth, not a department. Department is a unit for teaching only. It offers all kinds of programs and courses within its discipline, which are open to all Arts&Science students who are interested. Several hundred people enrolled in CS programs. Local white people are minority. Everyone looks like a foreigner. Most are second generation of immigrants from Ya-Fei-La(Asia-Africa-LatinAmerica). Some from Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan, mainland China. Not too many Chinese new immigrants. I did not count the mm's. But don't get your hopes too high. Nevertheless, you are free to choose some humanity or music courses, in which you will be able to see much more pretty mm's. Good luck!

---- 选课的范围很大….
You can take any of the several thousand courses offered by Art&Science directly as long as you have the prerequisite and there is no restriction for it, not just the first year course. In fact, you have too many choices coz most courses are open to anyone, not just those who have enrolled in the coresponding program. For example, I took 2 second year courses in my first term. Students taking the same course usually come from totally different background. Here you can meet first year and fourth year students, students majoring in economics, math, phylosophy, phychology, geography, computer science, special students...... So it's a great place to get some direct info from your schoolmates. Maybe we will be taking the same course together sometime.

---- 为什么没人想上COOP?
coz everyone wants to graduate earlier 。Waterloo has integrated coop with the program. But the CS courses of U of T are so heavy that you bearly have energy to do anything else. So many tests, projects and assignments are waiting for you. If you take a program in Scarbourough, I guess, you will have to take half of your courses there. That's a big hustle. Usually St.George students won't leave downtown to take courses in Scarbourough. There are only students from Scarbourough taking courses at St. George.

越过辽阔天空啦……飞向遥远群星
善良勇敢的啦……铁臂阿童木
阿童木 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖