只看楼主 主题工具
旧 Mar 5th, 2004, 13:04   只看该作者   #21
yaoyaochen
级别:0 | 在线时长:0小时 | 升级还需:5小时

注册日期: Jul 2004
帖子: 10
yaoyaochen is an unknown quantity at this point
默认

I also would like to know the summer and graduate placement info for York MBA. I even posted a new message to ask for some advice. Too bad nobody is willing to answer. By reading all the posts, I know for sure there are some York MBA current students in the forum, I hope they can be kindly to give some suggestion.

We all come a long way from China to this new land. I really hope people can generously help each other out, especially those people who came here before and already established. Please don’t hesitate to help others, this way we all can build up a strong and healthy network for ourselves. What is good for you if the majority of your race or your friends are in the lowest level of the society? If we don’t have a strong and healthy network, when recession comes, we all will fall.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iambigcat:
strongly agree!

天涯剑客,

Did york give you any scholorship or bursary ?

Have you make investigation on York's placement posibility?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
yaoyaochen 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 5th, 2004, 14:23   只看该作者   #22
kevinw2002

帖子: 2
声望: 0
kevinw2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
默认

如果你不想转行(我假设你是技术背景,既然被QUEEN‘S录取了),我觉的读QUEENS可能更合适些,毕竟节省一年的时间。
如果想转行,特别是想做金融,多大更合适。我现在在多大读书,感觉多大的FINANCE教授确实水平挺高的。
kevinw2002 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 5th, 2004, 14:36   只看该作者   #23
mic_lee

帖子: 206
mic_lee is an unknown quantity at this point
默认

建议上queens'.原因:
1.早毕业.到了工作单位早毕业和差两年大了去了.
2.排名其实差不多,而且你已经教了定金.
3.kingston其实是很美的小城,Queens'就在湖边,校园安静学习的好地方.

========================
海客谈瀛洲,烟涛微茫信难求.
========================
mic_lee 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 5th, 2004, 19:55   只看该作者   #24
wj365

帖子: 8
wj365 is an unknown quantity at this point
默认

I just graduated from U of T. I 'd like to give you some suggestions. Could you please tell me your background and your future plan?

http://www.westca.com/blogs/blog_chinese365.php
wj365 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 5th, 2004, 20:45   只看该作者   #25
iambigcat
新知青

iambigcat 的头像

帖子: 211
声望: 78
iambigcat will become famous soon enough
默认

Hi, WJ365,

Thanks for offering helping info.

Have you found job now? Can you tell us something about your job search experience?

I had worked as a network engineer in a top international telcom company. I want to switch to finance field, so I applied Schulich and was admitted. But these days I'm very confused about my future: can I get a finance job after graduation without any financial background and management experience? I'm eagered to know your suggestion about this question.

Also, could you tell us some of your background and career plan?

These days 77 also post some information about corprate finance career, how do you think this career path based on my background?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wj365:
I just graduated from U of T. I 'd like to give you some suggestions. Could you please tell me your background and your future plan?

Great thanks!

http://www.westca.com/blogs/blog_chi...></BLOCKQUOTE>
iambigcat 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 5th, 2004, 21:36   只看该作者   #26
wj365

默认

(Hello Xiao5,How are u?)

xiao5 is also graduated from Rotman and found a good job in Baystreet. Right? But he as a strong finance background.

Generally speaking, it is difficult to change to financial area without according background.

With your IT background, I suggest Queen for you. They have a far better career service than York there.

Also because the IT industry is recovering now, maybe you can meet the best time when you graduate.

[URL=http://www.westca.com/blogs/blog_chinese365.php]

[This message was edited by wj365 on March 05, 2004 at 22:54.]
wj365 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 5th, 2004, 21:53   只看该作者   #27
wj365

默认

d
wj365 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 6th, 2004, 06:02   只看该作者   #28
天涯剑客

帖子: 57
天涯剑客 is an unknown quantity at this point
默认

Hi bigcat,

I don't have any news about scholorship or bursary so far. How about you? Yes, I am researching the replacement possibility of York and queen..We can share some useful information...good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iambigcat:
strongly agree!

天涯剑客,

Did york give you any scholorship or bursary ?

Have you make investigation on York's placement posibility?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by venture:
No big difference if you want to go back China.

Will have much difference if you want to work in Toronto.

It is hard to get appropriate suggestion from others. Depends on your background, age, career interest, financial situation etc.

Basically, if you are less experienced and haven't decided what to do, in a 2-year program you will have more time to practice (summer job and interviews) and to think about future career path......

Also, in a 2 year program, the first year is more about fundamental theory study, the second year is more about knowledge application...I don't know how can these two aspects be accomplished in 1 year, especially for most less-experienced people.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
天涯剑客 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 6th, 2004, 06:21   只看该作者   #29
天涯剑客

默认

Hi wj365,

Thank you for your suggestion on how to choose business school for people with engineer background.

However, as I know, lots of people choose MBA because they want to switch career or enter a specif industry, say finance.

In UofT, lots of students also have engineer background. In your opinion, should they all go to Queen because of Queen's focus on people with engineer backgound,UofT's strength in Finance and the difficulties in career switching?

One more question, how do you think about the chance to enter finance or financial service industry for those engineers who worked in banks? (of course, they have some but very limited knowledge o financial service)

Again, I want to thank you very much for your warm-hearted answer.

good luck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wj365:
(Hello Xiao5,How are u?)

xiao5 is also graduated from Rotman and found a good job in Baystreet. Right? But he as a strong finance background.

Generally speaking, it is difficult to change to financial area without according background.

With your IT background, I suggest Queen for you. They have a far better career service than York there.

Also because the IT industry is recovering now, maybe you can meet the best time when you graduate.

[URL=http://www.westca.com/blogs/blog_chinese365.php]

[This message was edited by wj365 on March 05, 2004 at 22:54.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
天涯剑客 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 6th, 2004, 06:47   只看该作者   #30
天涯剑客

默认

I agree with venture. Queen seems to be suitable for those people with more experience and want to get a job in general management, a fact could be reflected by the bigger age of its students, its stricter interview, its proportion of lecture to team project. (25%: 30%),compared with York (40%: 15%).

York seems to be good for those people who have less experience in business or want to enter the field of finance or accouting. It can provide some enter level opportunity. This fact could be reflected by the comparision of salary after graduation. Queen have higher salary, I believe mostly because such students already have great experience in their field and own a not bad salary before they enter queen's MBA program. York has a higher rate of employment mostly because york's students are apt to seek a job that require less experience, therefore it is easier for them to get such jobs. (It is only my guess...) So a student with less experience will get less in queen's MBA program when studying in a team-based environment,in which it require mutual support, but get the most of its investment when listening to the lecture in York'environment. .. I guess that is also the reason why most Chinese student prefer Rotman to Ivey...similiar...

welcome any comment. Thanks a lot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by venture:

It is hard to get appropriate suggestion from others. Depends on your background, age, career interest, financial situation etc.

Basically, if you are less experienced and haven't decided what to do, in a 2-year program you will have more time to practice (summer job and interviews) and to think about future career path......

Also, in a 2 year program, the first year is more about fundamental theory study, the second year is more about knowledge application...I don't know how can these two aspects be accomplished in 1 year, especially for most less-experienced people.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message was edited by 天涯剑客 on March 06, 2004 at 7:57.]
天涯剑客 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 6th, 2004, 15:50   只看该作者   #31
wj365

默认

To be frank, swithing career is difficult here. Because most of the employers will look at your background. MBA is just a valu-added.

As far as I know, most of our classmates found job based on their background. The more international the experiences, the easier to find a job.

From another perspective, if you abandon your competitive advantages as a engineer and start to compete with some finance veterans as a novice, do you think you have the chance to beat them in job hunting?

Finance industry is attractive. But you'd better find something fit you the best.

Best wishes.

http://www.westca.com/blogs/blog_chinese365.php
wj365 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 6th, 2004, 16:35   只看该作者   #32
风中云

帖子: 251
风中云 is an unknown quantity at this point
默认

大家可以去做Corporate Finance 嘛,干嘛都要去银行,和投资机构。这些地方没有Finance 经验确实是很难的。
我准备考个CMA,不知道枯燥不枯燥,这里有没有考CMA的MBA?
风中云 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 6th, 2004, 17:44   只看该作者   #33
wj365

默认

楼上说得很对,这年头必须在MBA后面加上点什么才行。金融就要CFA,财务就要CMA,CGA...这些才是找工作的敲门砖。
wj365 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 6th, 2004, 17:55   只看该作者   #34
风中云

默认

楼上说得很对,这年头必须在MBA后面加上点什么才行。金融就要CFA,财务就要CMA,CGA...这些才是找工作的敲门砖。<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

但是感觉CFA的一些职位都是给绝顶聪明的人的,而且还看GPA,要A以上才行,要求太高了。一般企业的财务不需要CFA,而要CGA,CA, 或CMA。
风中云 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 6th, 2004, 19:24   只看该作者   #35
iambigcat
新知青

iambigcat 的头像

帖子: 211
声望: 78
iambigcat will become famous soon enough
默认

Can't agree any more! (but also based on my own guess)

We have similar background, and may become classmate if you choose York, so keep in touch and find a better slution of switch career.

I didn't get and info about bursary or scholarship. I postphoned my admission from Jan to Sep 2004.

I also agree with wj365: to switch career is hard. Headaching!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 天涯剑客:
I agree with venture. Queen seems to be suitable for those people with more experience and want to get a job in general management, a fact could be reflected by the bigger age of its students, its stricter interview, its proportion of lecture to team project. (25%: 30%),compared with York (40%: 15%).

York seems to be good for those people who have less experience in business or want to enter the field of finance or accouting. It can provide some enter level opportunity. This fact could be reflected by the comparision of salary after graduation. Queen have higher salary, I believe mostly because such students already have great experience in their field and own a not bad salary before they enter queen's MBA program. York has a higher rate of employment mostly because york's students are apt to seek a job that require less experience, therefore it is easier for them to get such jobs. (It is only my guess...) So a student with less experience will get less in queen's MBA program when studying in a team-based environment,in which it require mutual support, but get the most of its investment when listening to the lecture in York'environment. .. I guess that is also the reason why most Chinese student prefer Rotman to Ivey...similiar...

Also, in a 2 year program, the first year is more about fundamental theory study, the second year is more about knowledge application...I don't know how can these two aspects be accomplished in 1 year, especially for most less-experienced people.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message was edited by 天涯剑客 on March 06, 2004 at 7:57.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
iambigcat 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 6th, 2004, 19:49   只看该作者   #36
风中云

默认

Can't agree any more! (but also based on my own guess)

We have similar background, and may become classmate if you choose York, so keep in touch and find a better slution of switch career.

I didn't get and info about bursary or scholarship. I postphoned my admission from Jan to Sep 2004.

I also agree with wj365: to switch career is hard. Headaching!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 天涯剑客:

[This message was edited by 天涯剑客 on March 06, 2004 at 7:57.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
To pursue your new career in the same industry you worked before.
风中云 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 7th, 2004, 07:18   只看该作者   #37
天涯剑客

默认

To bigcat, yes..we may become alumni..nice to meet you..keep contacted..
To wj365, thank you for your help...
by the way, I still have some question, hope you to help me out.
1. Is it really very difficult to pass CFA for people without finance background? If an engineer get a CFA, do you think it is possible for him to get a job in finance industry? I am considering if I need to take CFA.....
2. Can I take CMA without CGA? maybe a stupid question, but I really don't know.

To 过客, thanks for your information.

my email: jobatcanada@hotmail.com
天涯剑客 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 7th, 2004, 09:28   只看该作者   #38
kevinw2002

帖子: 2
kevinw2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
默认

1. Lots of my Chinese classmates are taking CFA at the same time with their MBA study and seems not very difficult to pass (especially level 1) even without any finance background before. In terms of using CFA to break into the fiannce industry here, it is still not promising. If you look at the salary survey of AIMR, Canada/Toronto is the country/city with the lowest salaries for the CFA chartholders world wide which indicates a oversupply here. In one word, it may not be impossible to get a finance job with the CFA designation but would not be easy.
2. You do not have to take CGA to do the CMA. They are independent.

Hope above helps.

1. Is it really very difficult to pass CFA for people without finance background? If an engineer get a CFA, do you think it is possible for him to get a job in finance industry? I am considering if I need to take CFA.....
2. Can I take CMA without CGA? maybe a stupid question, but I really don't know.

my email: jobatcanada@hotmail.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
kevinw2002 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 7th, 2004, 09:54   只看该作者   #39
天涯剑客

默认

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kevinw2002:
1. Lots of my Chinese classmates are taking CFA at the same time with their MBA study and seems not very difficult to pass (especially level 1) even without any finance background before. In terms of using CFA to break into the fiannce industry here, it is still not promising. If you look at the salary survey of AIMR, Canada/Toronto is the country/city with the lowest salaries for the CFA chartholders world wide which indicates a oversupply here. In one word, it may not be impossible to get a finance job with the CFA designation but would not be easy.
2. You do not have to take CGA to do the CMA. They are independent.

Hope above helps.

my email: jobatcanada@hotmail.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thousands of thanks to you, kevinw2002..
天涯剑客 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 7th, 2004, 10:43   只看该作者   #40
风中云

默认

我只想知道这里有没有通过CMA的?!!!CMA好找工作,但是就是不知道趣味性如何?
风中云 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
发表新主题 回复

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以发表回复
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑自己的帖子

启用 BB 代码
论坛启用 表情符号
论坛启用 [IMG] 代码
论坛禁用 HTML 代码