声望: 10
RogerSmith is on a distinguished road
默认

If you can think of it, you can do it.
RogerSmith 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Jan 8th, 2006, 12:02   只看该作者   #63
hgcwh
级别:3 | 在线时长:28小时 | 升级还需:4小时级别:3 | 在线时长:28小时 | 升级还需:4小时级别:3 | 在线时长:28小时 | 升级还需:4小时

hgcwh 的头像

注册日期: Jul 2004
帖子: 77
声望: 0
hgcwh is an unknown quantity at this point
默认 haha4,指教一下

你好,haha4,看来你以前的帖子,很受启发,有个问题: 我老婆国内英语大专毕业,能去大学读个一年的“one year Bachelor of Education or Diploma in Education (Technological Studies) program.”
谢谢!
hgcwh 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Jan 8th, 2006, 18:04   只看该作者   #64
1/3
级别:13 | 在线时长:239小时 | 升级还需:13小时级别:13 | 在线时长:239小时 | 升级还需:13小时级别:13 | 在线时长:239小时 | 升级还需:13小时级别:13 | 在线时长:239小时 | 升级还需:13小时级别:13 | 在线时长:239小时 | 升级还需:13小时

帖子: 1,524
声望: 222920
1/3 has a reputation beyond repute1/3 has a reputation beyond repute1/3 has a reputation beyond repute1/3 has a reputation beyond repute1/3 has a reputation beyond repute1/3 has a reputation beyond repute1/3 has a reputation beyond repute1/3 has a reputation beyond repute1/3 has a reputation beyond repute1/3 has a reputation beyond repute1/3 has a reputation beyond repute
默认 加拿大的小学老师至少得有两个本科学位.其中一个必须是教育学的.

引用:
作者: hgcwh
你好,haha4,看来你以前的帖子,很受启发,有个问题: 我老婆国内英语大专毕业,能去大学读个一年的“one year Bachelor of Education or Diploma in Education (Technological Studies) program.”
谢谢!
个人觉得没戏.不过英文好,还可以看看其他机会.
1/3 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Jan 19th, 2006, 17:13   只看该作者   #65
haha4
级别:1 | 在线时长:6小时 | 升级还需:6小时

帖子: 41
haha4 is an unknown quantity at this point
默认 you need a bachelor degree in order to register the teacher eduction program

you need a bachelor degree in order to register the teacher eduction program but I do know that some elder teachers do not have a bachelor degree. You may go to website to read all the information regarding becoming a teacher www.oct.ca.
haha4 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Jan 25th, 2006, 22:35   只看该作者   #66
LILYY
级别:0 | 在线时长:0小时 | 升级还需:5小时

注册日期: Sep 2005
帖子: 8
LILYY is on a distinguished road
默认

引用:
作者: haha4
you need a bachelor degree in order to register the teacher eduction program but I do know that some elder teachers do not have a bachelor degree. You may go to website to read all the information regarding becoming a teacher www.oct.ca.
Hi haha4,
I am very interested in being a Intermediate/Senior Mathematics and Science teacher too. Were you a teacher before? After finished the teacher education program, whether did you need to pass a english test cetified by OCT to get the Certificate of Qualification? (like TOFEL, IELTS, MELAB, etc.)
Thx in advance.
LILYY 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Feb 3rd, 2006, 00:20   只看该作者   #67
rong170
级别:0 | 在线时长:0小时 | 升级还需:5小时

注册日期: Feb 2005
帖子: 7
rong170 is on a distinguished road
默认 Need help from Haha4!

引用:
作者: haha4
Hi, Haha4!
I asked you some questions before, thanks again!

Now really need your advice again because I will have a teachers college entrance interview this month. I think you did this before, anything should I pay particularly attention? what should I be dressed?

The more you say about this, the better to me!

Thank you very much indeed!
rong170 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Feb 10th, 2006, 23:02   只看该作者   #68
haha4

默认 rong sorry for the late reply

For the interview, try to dress professionally. Prepare several stories that can describe your personality, if you are a teacher, prepare several stories regarding classroom management, motive students, what you have done for multi-level students in your class; how you deal with the confliction with students, what is your teaching philosophy etc.
I have attended one interview; one part is you need to write a solution for a scenery in a class, another part is an interview. Questions are something like why you want to be a teacher, what kind of expertise or experience you have that will help you to be a good teacher.....
I failed that interview. I got the admission from the university without an interview.
Remember: Be yourself. You are the best.
Good luck.
haha4 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Feb 10th, 2006, 23:07   只看该作者   #69
haha4

默认 lilly

I was a teacher at a university before.
After finishing the teacher education program, you do not need to take any test unless somebody doubts your English proficiency. Before you attend the teacher education program, you need to take an English test, TOFEL or IELTS for the admission.

"Hi haha4,
I am very interested in being a Intermediate/Senior Mathematics and Science teacher too. Were you a teacher before? After finished the teacher education program, whether did you need to pass a english test cetified by OCT to get the Certificate of Qualification? (like TOFEL, IELTS, MELAB, etc.)
Thx in advance."
haha4 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 14th, 2006, 23:22   只看该作者   #70
treeleafheart
级别:2 | 在线时长:15小时 | 升级还需:6小时级别:2 | 在线时长:15小时 | 升级还需:6小时

注册日期: Dec 2005
帖子: 37
treeleafheart is on a distinguished road
默认

Hi haha4,

I have been following this thread for months and still unable to make up my mind whether to take this track among other options. As a new comer in Toronto, there are several possible career paths I can choose. Some are easy to start but probably lead me to nowhere, and some are difficult to start, but will be very rewarding in the end if everything goes well.

Many people told me that the happy-ending track of being a certified high school teacher is too hard for a Chinese and take too long to get started, three or even more years, from application for the one year program to landing a full-time permanent teaching position. What I am concerned is, if I work hard for it, what is the success rate for me. It would be appreciated if you, as an insider, could kindly provide some rough estimation on my case. Below is my background in breif.

I scored 7 in IELTS G test, and I am confident that my English test scores will be okay after some preparation. My background in education is strong. I had been a full time computer teacher for three years in a big international high school in China with English as the sole language of instruction. I also instructed IB(International Baccalaureate) IT courses for three years. Most of my students were native English speakers. I was quite comfortable confronting them in classroom. Currently I am doing a parttime teaching job in a non-profit organization.

With a B Sc. degree from a certified university in China, I would be comfortable teaching Science (IT/Computer, Physics, Biology) and Maths here. I am male and quite tall even among natives.

I am wondering, with my background and English proficiency, what is my chance of going through the whole process successfully. I saw the adminssion rate of the one year teaching problem is only 20% and some people will fail mid-way.

Thank you for your time in advance. Any input will be appreciated.

此帖于 Mar 15th, 2006 14:40 被 treeleafheart 编辑。
treeleafheart 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 16th, 2006, 21:03   只看该作者   #71
haha4

默认 an information session for teaching in Ontario 如何成为一名安省教师及成功经验分享

Hi, treeleafheart
There is an information session for teaching in Ontario which may be helpful. I just saw it on the website: www.51.ca.

(1) "the happy-ending track of being a certified high school teacher is too hard for a Chinese and take too long to get started, three or even more years, from application for the one year program to landing a full-time permanent teaching position. "

It is true. There is no 100% guarantee for any careers. This is my first year teaching. I am a full time LTO (Long term occassional) teacher for this semester (Feb-Jun), which is quite lucky. I do not know when I can become a full-time permanent teacher but I do not care. I just do my best.

You have very strong background in education. If you can get a teacher certificate from China, you don't need to go through the one year(8-month) teacher eduction program. You can apply the teacher certificate directly. What you need to do is pass some exams. You can get all information from the website: www.oct.ca.

(2) "the adminssion rate of the one year teaching program is only 20%" is true. "some people will fail mid-way", less than 3% will fail in the teacher education program.

(3) "What I am concerned is, if I work hard for it, what is the success rate for me." If you love teaching and can support yourself for the first couple years or if you do not care to go to the north part of Ontario where they need teachers (you may find a teaching position right after you get the certificate and they pay very well), you will be fine.

Good luck.

Information Session For Teaching in Ontario
如何成为一名安省教师及成功经验分享
(本讲座以英语进行)

Two Experienced Toronto Teachers will share their experiences
届时我们将请两位经验丰富的安省教师分享他们的成功经验,讲座内容包括:

Ø Ontario school system安省教育体制介绍;
Ø Teaching a variety of age groups对待不同年龄层的学生如何因才施教;
Ø Students, Parents, Fellow Teachers: A Reality Check;
学生,家长和老师:真实的情况的介绍;
Ø Challenges, responsibilities, and rewards作为老师的挑战,职责及回报;
Ø How to become accredited as a teacher in Ontario;
Where to get the training to become a teacher in Ontario
如何取得安省教师资格及相关的培训项目;
Ø How to handle your job search and look for opportunities
如何寻找工作机会及求职技巧。

3月22日, 星期三,晚6:30 - 8:30

地点:活贤社移民服务部 815 Danforth Ave.Suite202
(位于Donlands 和 Pape 地铁站之间)
查询请致电:416-462-3110 分机2163,2164

讲座全程以英语进行,
新移民请携带枫叶卡或移民纸,我们感谢您的合作!
All Newcomers MUST present their IMMIGRATION document.
引用:
作者: treeleafheart
Hi haha4,

I have been following this thread for months and still unable to make up my mind whether to take this track among other options. As a new comer in Toronto, there are several possible career paths I can choose. Some are easy to start but probably lead me to nowhere, and some are difficult to start, but will be very rewarding in the end if everything goes well.

Many people told me that the happy-ending track of being a certified high school teacher is too hard for a Chinese and take too long to get started, three or even more years, from application for the one year program to landing a full-time permanent teaching position. What I am concerned is, if I work hard for it, what is the success rate for me. It would be appreciated if you, as an insider, could kindly provide some rough estimation on my case. Below is my background in breif.

I scored 7 in IELTS G test, and I am confident that my English test scores will be okay after some preparation. My background in education is strong. I had been a full time computer teacher for three years in a big international high school in China with English as the sole language of instruction. I also instructed IB(International Baccalaureate) IT courses for three years. Most of my students were native English speakers. I was quite comfortable confronting them in classroom. Currently I am doing a parttime teaching job in a non-profit organization.

With a B Sc. degree from a certified university in China, I would be comfortable teaching Science (IT/Computer, Physics, Biology) and Maths here. I am male and quite tall even among natives.

I am wondering, with my background and English proficiency, what is my chance of going through the whole process successfully. I saw the adminssion rate of the one year teaching problem is only 20% and some people will fail mid-way.

Thank you for your time in advance. Any input will be appreciated.
haha4 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 17th, 2006, 15:25   只看该作者   #72
treeleafheart

默认

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I read the requirements in www.oct.ca. It states a teacher education with practum is necessary. In China, I was kind of just jumped into a teacher position without any prior training, although I got teacher certificates on three subjects afterwards.

I will investigate it further and try to show up at the information session.

Thanks for all your good help!
treeleafheart 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 19th, 2006, 19:08   只看该作者   #73
haha4

默认 treeleafheart, you can call oct or walk in to see if you can apply directly.

treeleafheart,
You can call oct or walk in to see if you can apply the teacher certificate directly. BTW I do not think you have any problem to be admitted to the teacher education program. If you are young and aggressive, you may try other careers.
Teachers' starting salary with bachelor degree is around $40,000. After 10 years' teaching, the salary will be around $75,000. That's it unless you apply to be a vice-principle, principle.
If you or any others can show up at that information session, I really appreciate it if you can post some info from that information session. I won't be able to attend it.
Thanks in advance.
haha4 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 23rd, 2006, 17:02   只看该作者   #74
treeleafheart

默认 The WoodGreen Information Session is very helpful

I attended the information session and got all my questions answered, at least for now.

The presentation by two retired secondary school teachers were great. They were very knowledgable and willing to help. I also appreciate their sincerety when I was expecting a straightforward answer.

To get certified without the one year training is not an option as far as they know. It is definitely necessary to overcome the cultural difference and get acquainted with Canadian practise. I couldn't agree more on that. Even with my background, I don't think I am prepared for teaching in secondary school without training. The two presenters also said the school board is considering extending the one year program to two years.

One thing I would like to point out here for everyone interested in this subject is, when considering the posibility of becoming a teacher, please do research online on the oct web site as much as possible. Most of questions are already clearly answered in the Web site. Please save the precious time and effort of the kind people who stand out to help us.

I had done my homework well before I went, so all my questions are answered. For me, the conclusion is being a public school teacher is not the track for me, at least at present. I am the bread earner in the house, I can't afford the transition years.

As I understand, the good candidates for this track are those with multiple degrees and very good command of English. They also don't have much pressure to start making sufficient income for the family.

I would be happy to answer questions based on what I know.

此帖于 Mar 23rd, 2006 17:16 被 treeleafheart 编辑。
treeleafheart 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 24th, 2006, 18:21   只看该作者   #75
haha4

默认 treeleafheart, thank you very much for your sharing.

Treeleafheart,
May I know if the two retired teachers mentioned how manychinese teachers they knew who succeeded in teaching career or left teaching position after they got the certificate (or the rate of it)?
Sometimes, there are positions not only teaching positions but also support staff positions(such as programmer) posted on the school websites:
http://www.scdsb.on.ca
http://www.yrdsb.edu.on.ca
http://www.tdsb.on.ca/
http://peelschools.org/
They are the school boards in or near Toronto.
You may keep your eyes on them.
haha4 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 24th, 2006, 21:03   只看该作者   #76
treeleafheart

默认

haha4,

The two teachers did not provide any information on successful case of immigrant applicants. Nor was the questioned raised.

They did mention non-teaching positions in public school which do not require any certificates, but they also pointed out the competition for these positions are fierce. And we as new comers must gear up our English proficiency extensively.

They gave us several useful Web site including some you listed.

Below are some points I got from this information session which are important to me. Hopefully be helpful to you also.

1. There is no shortage of public school teachers at present.
2. This track takes a long time and a lot of effort to get started, it might not be suitable for new comers from different cultural and laguage background, if there are alternatives.
3. Parents are complaining about the English proficiency of some maths or science teachers whose first language is not English.
4. The one year program might be extended to two years.
5. Secondary school teachers are predominantly females. It was the opposite 40 years ago.
6. Student abuse of teachers can not be avoided, can only be dealt with.
7. Teachers teach 5 hours a day.
8. Applicants without strong education in corresponding subjects are not accepted in the one year program. (This is why I mention multi-degree is necessary in my last post.)
9. The handling of all kinds of situations in school and classroom are very different from in China, so the training is definitely indespensible.
10. Our native language can also be used as one teachable subject, but schools offering Mandarin courses are few.

The two presenters also made it clear that although this track is tough but there are many opportunities for us to get one foot in if we search hard and apply ourselves. They implied that most of new comers with an intend to be certified teachers has a long way to go in almost all aspects of qualifications, even some of them had been teachers in their countries of origin for extended years.

So the message I got from this information session is pretty discouraging. Although I might be the best candidate among the audience, I still have to take courses on subjects I intend to teach before applying for the one year training.

haha4, do you have multiple degrees? How are you qualified to teach maths and science? Have you completed two or three full courses in maths and different science courses in university?

此帖于 Mar 24th, 2006 21:13 被 treeleafheart 编辑。
treeleafheart 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 25th, 2006, 21:20   只看该作者   #77
haha4

默认 treeleafheart, thank you very much for your valuable message.

Treeleafheart,

Thank you very much for your valuable message. I am female and majored in Physics. I have enough courses from my undergraduate study for Science (Physics) and Mathematics. If one wants to teach Intermediate/Senior level, he/she needs to have two teachable subjects.

My understanding is if one majored in engineering (civil, electrical, mechanical, computer science) or science (physics, chemistry, or bio...), he/she should be ok for the requirements of the two teachable subjects unless he/she majored in mathematics.

Even if someone only has one teachable subject, he/she still can apply for the Junior/Intermediate level which requires only one subject but I don't recommend this, it is hard to find a job at this level.

There are special requiremnts for becoming a technology teacher. For becoming a technology teacher (commnications technology, hospitality, construction, manufactoring), one will be qualified if one has more than 5 years wage-earning experience in that field and there is no or less requirements on the courses.

Different university may see your background differently. I applied the teacher education program in the 4th month after I landed here. Almost everyone told me it was hard to get the admission/to graduate/to find a job after graduation. After I graduated and became an LTO teacher, one of my friends told me you were too brave. His wife did not try because she tought it was impossible to get the admission. His wife majored in Physics too; her TOEFL score is higher than mine. Sometimes just do whatever you want, try your luck.

I was too lucky so far. I need to improve my English. I do not know how far I can go but I will do my best. I hope I can suceed and motive more new immigrants to overcome the culture and language barriers, do whatever you want, never give up.

此帖于 Mar 25th, 2006 21:33 被 haha4 编辑。
haha4 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 25th, 2006, 22:11   只看该作者   #78
haha4

默认 some advices to all who want to be a teacher

Infor from treeleafheart
"1. There is no shortage of public school teachers at present. "
It is true for not only teacher career but also many other careers in Canada, but there is still somebody find a job in those careers. 50% unemployment rate does not mean you can not find a job. 1% unemployment rate does not mean you definitely can have a job.

"4. The one year program might be extended to two years."
If this is the case, apply the program as soon as possible.

"6. Student abuse of teachers can not be avoided, can only be dealt with."
It is true. You need to be strong inside.

"8. Applicants without strong education in corresponding subjects are not accepted in the one year program. (This is why I mention multi-degree is necessary in my last post.)"

At the INTERMEDIATE/SENIOR division, the first teaching subject must consist of at least six (6) one-term courses in a given subject and at most four (4) one-term courses in a related subject.
The second teaching subject must consist of four (4) one-term courses in the given subject only (related subject courses are not accepted).

I count the courses in my undergraduate study: the first teaching subject- phsyics 6 one-term courses in physics, 4 one-term courses in a related subject (labs, practicum etc); the second teaching subject - mathematics one course 4 terms, I count it as 4 one-term courses.

I do not think it is hard to meet the requirements of courses.
haha4 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 25th, 2006, 22:25   只看该作者   #79
treeleafheart

默认 It is passion what matters most.

Haha4,

Although I am a B Sc., but my university courses were too diversified, with maths, physics and computer science all slightly below the minimum course requirement. Now I know the importance of choosing a undergraduate degree. Of course I could make it if I attend some courses here to make them up, but that will add one more year to the transition.

The two retired teachers started their speech with an emphasis on passion. That is indeed the most important part of it. Unfortunately my passion to be a teacher will not drive me so far. During the three years as a senior high school subject and homeroom teacher to English native speakers in China, I felt particularly sad when I saw boys and girls grew day by day while I was aging and burning out at the same time. Although the two teachers said I will be successful with my background and almost ready English proficiency, but I can't afford this track.

You are lucky to have all the advantages: teachable courses, English proficiency, time to pursue this track and, best of all, the passion. Females with science background seem to be more suitable for this track. Best wishes to you.

I may try to get a TESL certificate if I have some time to spare, to use as a fallback when necessary. Some friends also recommended me to be certified as a translater. I will look that up too.
treeleafheart 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Mar 26th, 2006, 18:45   只看该作者   #80
haha4

默认 treeleafheart, thanks. Good luck.

treeleafheart,
Thanks. Good luck.
Do whatever you want especially in Canada. After tax, there are less differences among different careers. Never regret. Never give up.
haha4 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
发表新主题 回复

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以发表回复
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑自己的帖子

启用 BB 代码
论坛启用 表情符号
论坛启用 [IMG] 代码
论坛禁用 HTML 代码