只看楼主 主题工具
旧 Apr 15th, 2005, 16:10     #1
Cool_China
级别:0 | 在线时长:0小时 | 升级还需:5小时

Cool_China 的头像

注册日期: Apr 2005
帖子: 520
Cool_China will become famous soon enough
默认 'Pronunciation Clinic' kicks off laaa :)

Hey everyone,

My goal is to help you improve your English pronunciation. With a better pronunciation your speech will be much more clear and your interview will go much more smooth. You will land a job easier. All in all, you will make people you talk to understand you.

Viva understanding!
---------------------------------------------------------------
Among 7 people who came to the free session last night no one knew how to make a short 'i' sound. It was not that they couldn't make that sound; it's that they didn't know how to position their mouth properly.Nevertheless, I am sure that now all of them understand how to make that sound.

Again, please notice that pronunciation doesn't euqal the accent. Pronunciation should come first, then the accent.

Now 'PRONUNCIATION CLINIC' officially kicks off.

Fees: $85 (Your money counts)
Goal: Solving common pronunciation difficulties facing the Chinese
Duration: 3 Fridays (totally 6 hours, 2 hours every Friday)
Time:6pm-8pm
416-460-3168
--------------------------------------------------------------
Cool_China 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Apr 15th, 2005, 18:14   只看该作者   #2
couple
夫妻在线
级别:4 | 在线时长:40小时 | 升级还需:5小时级别:4 | 在线时长:40小时 | 升级还需:5小时级别:4 | 在线时长:40小时 | 升级还需:5小时级别:4 | 在线时长:40小时 | 升级还需:5小时

couple 的头像

注册日期: Jul 2004
住址: Beijing, China
帖子: 1,568
积分:8
精华:2
声望: 1272496
couple has a reputation beyond reputecouple has a reputation beyond reputecouple has a reputation beyond reputecouple has a reputation beyond reputecouple has a reputation beyond reputecouple has a reputation beyond reputecouple has a reputation beyond reputecouple has a reputation beyond reputecouple has a reputation beyond reputecouple has a reputation beyond reputecouple has a reputation beyond repute
发送 MSN 消息给 couple
默认

Bravo! Way to go!

CWO

我的签字:寻找方向 http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/1232334667
已故老公的签字:世界华人好人网总舵主http://coupleonline.blog.sohu.com/
http://www.gmcca.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=71
couple 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Apr 16th, 2005, 00:09   只看该作者   #3
Bennie
级别:1 | 在线时长:10小时 | 升级还需:2小时

Bennie 的头像

注册日期: Aug 2004
帖子: 182
声望: 10
Bennie is on a distinguished road
默认

引用:
作者: Cool_China
Hey everyone,

My goal is to help you improve your English pronunciation. With a better pronunciation your speech will be much more clear and your interview will go much more smooth. You will land a job easier. All in all, you will make people you talk to understand you.

Viva understanding!
Among 7 people who came to the free session last night no one knew how to make a short 'i' sound. It was not that they couldn't make that sound; it's that they didn't know how to position their mouth properly.Nevertheless, I am sure that now all of them understand how to make that sound.

Again, please notice that pronunciation doesn't euqal the accent. Pronunciation should come first, then the accent.

Now 'PRONUNCIATION CLINIC' officially kicks off.

Fees: $85 (Your money counts)
Goal: Solving common pronunciation difficulties facing the Chinese
Duration: 3 Fridays (totally 6 hours, 2 hours every Friday)
Time:6pm-8pm
416-460-3168
--------------------------------------------------------------
"smooth" --- adj.
"easier" --adj.
"It's" -- Present tense.
"mouth" -- sigular noun.

Hope those are only typos.

RESP 416-876-8761
Bennie 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Apr 16th, 2005, 22:59   只看该作者   #4
Cool_China

Cool_China 的头像

声望: 69
默认 haha, let's duke it out. Just kidding

引用:
作者: Bennie
"smooth" --- adj.
"easier" --adj.
"It's" -- Present tense.
"mouth" -- sigular noun.

I like talking about those 'typos', if any.
1) By 'go', I meant 'become', so the word can be followed by an adjective.For example: The fans go crazy
2)By 'easier', I meant 'You will land a job easier (than before)', so 'easier' here serves as an adverb. How about 'easier(than before), you will land a job'?
3)In 'It WAS not that they couldn't make that sound; it's that they didn't know how to position their mouth properly', do you think that I cannot use "it's"? I think that I have used a pass tense 'was' prior to the "it's" and considering that this is a parallel structure, I picked up a short form, i.e., "it's". Is it alright?
4)By 'mouth' in 'how to position their mouth' I emphasized the MOUTH of the every person, not all of them
(for this one, your correction could be right. But I prefer a single noun to a plural noun here)
A question to you. How do you translate '他们每一个人的嘴‘ into English? ) I don't expect that you say 'the mouth of the every one'.

Cool_China

此帖于 Apr 17th, 2005 00:44 被 Cool_China 编辑。
Cool_China 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Apr 16th, 2005, 23:49   只看该作者   #5
Cool_China

Cool_China 的头像

默认 hi, Bennie

引用:
"smooth" --- adj.
"easier" --adj.
"It's" -- Present tense.
"mouth" -- sigular noun.

Hi, Bennie,
The following sentence is from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary:

'One of the students has left their book behind.'

How do you think?
Cool_China 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Apr 17th, 2005, 00:05   只看该作者   #6
Cool_China

Cool_China 的头像

默认 与Bennie商酌

1) bring our textbook please -- 请带上我们用的 那本(那种) 教材
2) bring our textbooks please -- 请带上我们大家(所有的)教材

第一个句子强调种类 (我们用的是同一种教材,而不是有两种不同的教材)
第二个句子强调数量

What's your opinion, Bennie?

Thanks

Cool_China
Cool_China 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Apr 17th, 2005, 01:49   只看该作者   #7
Bennie

Bennie 的头像

默认

引用:
I like talking about those 'typos', if any.
1) By 'go', I meant 'become', so the word can be followed by an adjective.For example: The fans go crazy
2)By 'easier', I meant 'You will land a job easier (than before)', so 'easier' here serves as an adverb. How about 'easier(than before), you will land a job'?
3)In 'It WAS not that they couldn't make that sound; it's that they didn't know how to position their mouth properly', do you think that I cannot use "it's"? I think that I have used a pass tense 'was' prior to the "it's" and considering that this is a parallel structure, I picked up a short form, i.e., "it's". Is it alright?
4)By 'mouth' in 'how to position their mouth' I emphasized the MOUTH of the every person, not all of them
(for this one, your correction could be right. But I prefer a single noun to a plural noun here)
A question to you. How do you translate '他们每一个人的嘴‘ into English? ) I don't expect that you say 'the mouth of the every one'.

Cool_China
1) As I know, "go" can not be a copular verb. Here I think "get" or "become" will be a better choice. And if you use it as an adj., "smoother" is better than "much more".
But......after checking the dictionary, sometimes you can use smooth as smoothly. ~_~!

2) Agree.

3) I think "It's" is not equal to "It was".

4) I still prefer "their mouths", or "each one's mouth". ^_^!
Bennie 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Apr 17th, 2005, 01:55   只看该作者   #8
Bennie

Bennie 的头像

默认

引用:
Hi, Bennie,
The following sentence is from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary:

'One of the students has left their book behind.'

How do you think?
"One" is the subject and "book" is the object. I personally would use "his" or "her" here. I dont understand why it uses their here.

BTW, I think I've met you before. Is that right?

此帖于 Apr 17th, 2005 02:13 被 Bennie 编辑。
Bennie 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Apr 17th, 2005, 08:46   只看该作者   #9
zzbsb
Friends
级别:14 | 在线时长:267小时 | 升级还需:18小时级别:14 | 在线时长:267小时 | 升级还需:18小时级别:14 | 在线时长:267小时 | 升级还需:18小时级别:14 | 在线时长:267小时 | 升级还需:18小时级别:14 | 在线时长:267小时 | 升级还需:18小时级别:14 | 在线时长:267小时 | 升级还需:18小时

zzbsb 的头像

注册日期: Jul 2004
帖子: 2,574
积分:9
精华:3
声望: 310072
zzbsb has a reputation beyond reputezzbsb has a reputation beyond reputezzbsb has a reputation beyond reputezzbsb has a reputation beyond reputezzbsb has a reputation beyond reputezzbsb has a reputation beyond reputezzbsb has a reputation beyond reputezzbsb has a reputation beyond reputezzbsb has a reputation beyond reputezzbsb has a reputation beyond reputezzbsb has a reputation beyond repute
默认

Because you don't know if the student is a male or female, so you don't know you should use his or her in the sentence, so you can use their in such situation.
zzbsb 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Apr 17th, 2005, 19:19   只看该作者   #10
Cool_China

Cool_China 的头像

默认 how about...

引用:
1) As I know, "go" can not be a copular verb. Here I think "get" or "become" will be a better choice. And if you use it as an adj., "smoother" is better than "much more".
But......after checking the dictionary, sometimes you can use smooth as smoothly. ~_~!

2) Agree.

3) I think "It's" is not equal to "It was".

4) I still prefer "their mouths", or "each one's mouth". ^_^!
You'd better study now.
You had better study now

Two sentences are equal.
Cool_China 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Apr 17th, 2005, 19:23   只看该作者   #11
Bennie

Bennie 的头像

默认

引用:
You'd better study now.
You had better study now

Two sentences are equal.

You'd better= You had better.
It's = It is

But, it was != it's. @_@!
Bennie 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
旧 Apr 17th, 2005, 22:03   只看该作者   #12
The Door
Did you see the door?
级别:28 | 在线时长:900小时 | 升级还需:57小时级别:28 | 在线时长:900小时 | 升级还需:57小时级别:28 | 在线时长:900小时 | 升级还需:57小时级别:28 | 在线时长:900小时 | 升级还需:57小时

The Door 的头像

帖子: 573
积分:1
精华:1
声望: 7913610
The Door has a reputation beyond reputeThe Door has a reputation beyond reputeThe Door has a reputation beyond reputeThe Door has a reputation beyond reputeThe Door has a reputation beyond reputeThe Door has a reputation beyond reputeThe Door has a reputation beyond reputeThe Door has a reputation beyond reputeThe Door has a reputation beyond reputeThe Door has a reputation beyond reputeThe Door has a reputation beyond repute
默认

some apparent mistakes. not to mention phraseology
引用:
Hey everyone,
My goal is to help you improve your English pronunciation. With a better pronunciation your speech will be much more clear (clearer) and your interview will go much more smooth (more smoothly). You will land a job easier(more easily). All in all, you will make people you talk to understand you.

Viva understanding!
-
The Door 当前离线  
回复时引用此帖
发表新主题 回复

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以发表回复
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑自己的帖子

启用 BB 代码